**Updated 4/02/2020** These resources/information will be updated as frequently as possible. Please double check information as some organizations/businesses are changing hours, etc.!
2-1-1 is an online resource directory (also available via phone) that allows individuals in need to search for agencies that can help. Within Riley County, over 90 agencies are listed (with more being added daily). The assistance available ranges from diapers to groceries to help paying for prescriptions and utility bills and lots of other things in between. ;)
To access the directory, simply dial 2-1-1 or visit https://211kansas.bowmansystems.com/
The dial-in service is staffed 24 hours a day / 7 days a week. If someone dials 2-1-1, they simply need to enter their zip code. They will then be connected to a live operator who will help to connect them to agencies who can assist with the needs of the moment.
The website service asks you to enter your city or zip code along with keywords to describe needs (food, rent, etc.). The list then pops up with all the agencies who might be able to assist, along with a list of services the agency provides and contact information/hours of service. Of note - some of the agencies listed will not be in our area, so families will need to be cognizant of that!
If your student is feeling suicidal or unsafe, please take one or more of the following actions immediately!
2-Text HOME to 741741 to access a trained crisis counselor
3-Call the suicide prevention hotline 1-800-273-TALK
5-If you are receiving counseling outside of school, make contact with your therapist as soon as possible.
- Common Table sites are making adjustments in response to concerns about the spread of the coronavirus.Visit their Facebook page for up to date information.
- Enter your zip code to find a food service near you
- The FIT Closet is currently closed to shopping and donations.
- All alternate donation drop-off locations have asked that donations halt until this crisis has passed.
- We are working with school administration and social workers to find the path forward - in hopes of continuing to help our registered families. As these plans develop, we will continue to communicate them to you.
- We have developed a community resource page on our website. If you know of resources that should be added to those listed - please send them to Tracy Emery (FIT Closet Coordinator). Her email is: email@example.com.
Any residents of Manhattan, Kansas or people who work in Manhattan, Kansas are eligible to receive a grocery gift card as a part of this program. Eligibility will be determined by the following factors:
- Reduction of wages due to job status change
- Number of individuals in the household and
- Other household income available.
Since 1993, Kansas Children's Service League’s Parent Helpline (1-800-CHILDREN) has offered a voice who will listen and empathize with callers’ concerns and provide help with simple questions or complex situations. Information, referrals and support are provided statewide anonymously to parents, relatives, caregivers, youth and professionals 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This line is designed to meet the needs of parents and caregivers who feel isolated and frustrated when trying to meet the challenges of raising children. In calendar year 2019 the Parent Helpline answered 1,648 calls. Inquiries can be made via email or text using 1800CHILDREN@kcsl.org.
The Parent Helpline is also available as a mobile phone App. This is a free download that can be found by searching The Parent Helpline in either the Android or Apple stores. The App also contains links for Parent Tip Cards on the KCSL website or has simple one touch dialing if you decide you need additional information.
Top reasons for calls to the Parent Helpline include basic parenting, child development, behavior management, questions about reporting child abuse and neglect, mental health, legal concerns and information about programs/services.
Call the Parent Helpline at either 1-800-CHILDREN or 1-800-332-6378 for resources, referrals and other information.