The school was named after President Theodore Roosevelt who visited Manhattan on May 2, 1903.
Construction of Theodore Roosevelt Elementary School was authorized in September, 1922 and the building opened in January, 1924 under the administration of Superintendent E.B. Gift and Principal Nora Hungerford.
In 1951 the east wing and gymnasium were added at a cost of $168,700
The wiring was replaced in 1970 at a cost of $38,526
In 1983 the west wing was added and the building was remodeled. The windows were replaced, five new classrooms and a new serving kitchen were added and the building’s original front doors and stairs were enclosed to add space to the current location of the principal’s office. The cost was $631,748
Renovations were made in 1998 at a cost of $113,306 and 2011 at a cost of $3.5 million.