Located in the northwest corner of Manhattan, Frank V. Bergman Elementary School is truly focused on achieving academic excellence in a safe and comfortable environment.We are proud of our long history as one of the few schools in Kansas to achieve the Standard of Excellence on our schools' state assessments in all subject areas. This strong achievement has its foundation in the development of the whole child through a strong character education program and pro-active philosophy for behavior management.
Some features that set Bergman and Manhattan-Ogden Public Schools apart from other schools include but are not limited to:
- The preservation of childhood through a grade configuration that ranges from
all day Kindergarten to sixth grade.
- A core curriculum that is strengthened through enrichment classes which include:
- Art Education in an art studio which includes a pottery kiln.
- Vocal and Instrumental Music classes in the "Bergman Amazing Musicians" After-School Choir.
- Physical Education in our gym that includes a ropes course and the "Mount Bergman" climbing wall.
- A Math Enrichment class to challenge all of our students and extend and apply their understanding of our classroom curriculum.
- BLAST (Bergman Learning in After School Time) a Community Learning Center that provides a safe and nurturing environment for students from 7:00 am to 5:30 pm.
As a result of the diversity at our school, our students learn to respect other cultures and backgrounds by learning and living in an environment that reflects ethnic and socioeconomic diversity. This is enhanced through Bergman serving as the host school for our district's Severely Multiple Handicapped and Visually Impaired Education Programs. We call this the “valued added” curriculum of Bergman Elementary!
As a Title One School, we are able to offer the Bergman Reading Workshop. This program targets students, especially our early learners that are challenged by breaking the code of the written word. Three reading specialists stand ready to support our students in the development as fluent readers.
A strong partnership between school and home is strengthened through an active Parent Teacher Organization School Council, Title I and BLAST Parent Advisory Boards, the Black Lions of Fort Riley, Kansas State University, and “Schools of Hope” our community volunteer program.
We invite you to visit our school through our virtual tour also found on our website. You are also invited to tour our school in person. Please call 785-587-2865 if you have questions or would like to arrange for a tour.
As a team of lifelong learners, Bergman is a Professional Development School for Kansas State University. Our school is a learning lab for about 100 future teachers, with Bergman educators, service as mentors for educational interns. In turn, our teachers are committed to learning alongside our interns to ensure that we stay on the cutting edge of our profession by utilizing researched based best on practices with our students.
Yours in educational excellence,
Lori L. Martin